COVID-19 Clinic Guidelines
By: Paula Burchat, BA, RMT, CSMTA(SF) • June 9, 2020
We are living in unprecedented times. For us to move forward with Coronavirus circulating in the community we must make the best, most informed choices we can for our health and safety. All guidelines indicated below are for client and therapist safety and to reduce the risk of transmission of Coronavirus. All guidelines are mandated by the College of Massage Therapists’ of Ontario and the Ministry of Heath for Ontario and I am mandated to share them with you.
Booking Appointments and Covid-19 Screening
- Online booking will be available, however, before I can accept and finalize an appointment booked online, you must complete an online COVID-19 questionnaire. It will be sent to you automatically after you book your appointment. It must be filled out within 24 hours of receiving it or your appointment may be cancelled.
- There are several obvious symptoms on the screen for Covid-19 like fever, chills, difficulty breathing, etc. There are some however that may be concerning like headaches and muscle aches, which are typically symptoms that bring clients in for treatment. To help you differentiate these symptoms, all Covid-19 symptoms are usually new, long lasting, cannot seem to be relieved, and have no explained cause. Muscle aches related to Covid-19 are usually described as deep, bone-achy-type soreness as compared to local pain that may be relieved with movement, heat, ice, or other actions. Headaches tend to be sudden onset, long lasting with no relief compared to known headache or neck pain. If you have any concerns when filling in the questionnaire, please contact me directly at (613) 301-3131 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- I will ease my cancellation appointment policy for Covid-19 related issues. Normally I require 24 hours notice or cancellations are charged at $65. If an appointment must be cancelled at the last minute due to Covid-19 symptoms no charge will apply. It will be noted in your file that you were positive for a Covid-19 screen and same requirements will apply as noted above. All other situations are subject to the normal policy.
Arriving to your Appointment
- You must come to the appointment wearing a clean disposable or reusable mask that can be worn throughout the treatment. If you cannot obtain one, please let me know ahead of time.
- You must arrive alone (where possible) for your appointment. If you are unable to do so, please inform me ahead of time.
- When you arrive for the appointment please park in the space directly behind the red Subaru. My husband may be working from home so there may only be one client parking spot available. If you arrive more than 15 minutes before your appointment you may have to wait for the previous client to leave.
- When you arrive, wait in your car until I call you. If you do not have a cell phone, please do not enter the clinic more than 5 minutes before your appointment time.
- When you enter the clinic, you must proceed directly to the washroom and wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Immediately prior to treatment, I must screen you to ensure your COVID-19 status has not changed, and I must screen myself using the same criteria. Results of both screenings will be documented in your health record.
During the Treatment
- For the most part the assessment and treatment will proceed as per normal. I will go over risks and benefits of treatment for you to be able to provide informed consent.
- If you are unable to wear the face mask while lying on your stomach in the face cradle, I have several options to ensure a safe, hygienic treatment.
After the Appointment
- After the appointment, you must wash your hands again with soap and water.
- You will be required to initial or sign for consent to treat sensitive areas if I treated your gluteal, adductors or pec muscles during the treatment. This will be done at the desk and the pen or stylus used will be disinfected after you use it.
Payment for Treatment
- Payment may be made by e-transfer or cheque. Cash will not be accepted. The best option is an e transfer to email@example.com. A receipt will be emailed to you.
Preparing a safe and clean clinic space for you.
- Due to the small space available for the waiting area and need for physical distancing, only one client will be allowed in the clinic at a time.
- All items used during treatment (table, head cradle, vinyl covered pillows, etc.) will be cleaned and disinfected after each client.
- All linens and towels used for treatment will be stored in a sealed container and washed on high heat in a 10% bleach solution and dried on high heat.
- All shared, high contact surfaces (doorknobs, toilet handle, railing, chairs, pens, electronics, arm rests, etc.) will be clean and disinfected several times during the day.
- All items that are not easily disinfected (magazines, books, clothe covered items, have been removed from the clinic.
- Soap and water to wash your hands will be available in the washroom. Hand sanitizer will be available at the door, at the desk and in the clinic room as a secondary measure for hand cleaning.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- I must wear a surgical or procedure mask (not cloth) during treatment and whenever within two (2) metres of you.
- When treating your head, neck and shoulders while on your back, I may wear a face shield or safety glass in addition to the mask.
- I will change my clothes between clients.
These are unprecedented times and we must make unprecedented decisions. It is my utmost concern that when you enter my clinic you feel confident and secure that every possible measure is being made to safeguard your health and well-being.
If you ever have any concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me to discuss them.
Stay safe, stay healthy.
Paula Burchat, RMT, SMT(C)